Car Accident Reimbursement: What Happens If I Lose My Job Due To A Car Accident?

If another driver causes an accident and you lose your job due to your injuries, you are entitled to recover damages for lost earnings. You are entitled to sue for special and general damages.

Special Damages

Special damages, also called economic damages, compensate you for loss of income or wages, benefits, profits and business opportunities. Special damages and loss of income are payable for the time that you are injured and unable to work, up until the time that you are medically able to go back to work.

General Damages

General damages, also known as non-economic damages, include future lost earnings and earning capacity. To receive compensation for general damages you need to show that if the accident hadn’t happened you would have been able to make a certain amount of money. It isn’t easy to prove how much you would have earned, and that is why you may consider hiring the best car accident lawyer near you.


Presenting Evidence

To recover damages after losing your job, you will need to prove that the accident-related injuries prevented you from returning to work. Your doctor can submit medical proof of your injuries and show a relationship between your injuries and the accident. Your employer can provide proof that you were fired after a car accident, and that your termination was directly related to your inability to work. Your employer can also provide written documentation of how much you earned while in their employ.

Mitigation of Damages

Even though you may not be able to return to your previous job or the same type of work, you are obligated to find work as soon as you are able. Accident victims have an obligation to minimize (mitigate) loss of income by finding work after doctor approval. If they don’t return to work, and the court determines they were able to work, their monetary damages will be reduced by the amount they could have earned.

Article reference:

Get Free Help Below…

Need Help? Got Questions?

Just fill in the form below and we’ll message you to let you know we’ve got your request and then we’ll call you either straight away or as soon as we’re out of the meeting we’re in…
Kendra Long

Contact Form

We will never sell your information or give it to a third party.

You may also like

Got Questions? Call…

(425) 818-5331

As Seen On…

Get Free Advice

Attorney Kendra Long

Injury and Recovery is Different For Women. Your Representation Should Reflect That.

Our Location