What Should I Do If I Am The Victim In A Hit-And-Run Pedestrian Accident?

When pedestrians are hit by vehicles, the injuries can be serious. If the driver of the vehicle drives off, you’re left in serious pain—and with some potentially serious medical bills and other expenses. Here’s what you should know about these accidents.

Steps to Take After a Hit-and-Run Pedestrian Accident

The first thing you should do is move out of the way if you are on the street or in a parking lot where another vehicle could hit you. If possible, try to take a picture of the vehicle that hit you—especially if you see that the driver is not going to stop. Your next steps should be to:

Call the police.

Even if you do not think you are badly injured, you should report the accident. Sometimes injuries take time to appear. Be sure to give them your perspective on what happened.

Talk to any eyewitnesses.

If there are witnesses at the scene of the accident, be sure to get their contact information.


Take photos of the accident scene.

Pictures can provide evidence of what happened after the scene is cleaned up.

Get medical treatment immediately.

Not getting medical treatment will make it look like your injuries are not serious, which could potentially hurt a future insurance claim.

Keep a journal.

Write down your expenses related to the accident, including medical bills and lost wages if you are out of work because of your injuries.

Contact a lawyer.

You want someone who specializes in pedestrian accidents. An experienced attorney can investigate what happened, gather evidence (including any surveillance video), work with the police to try and identify the hit-and-run driver, and negotiate with your own insurance company if you have uninsured motorist coverage. 

Article reference:

Get Free Help Below…

Need Help? Got Questions?

Just fill in the form below and we’ll message you to let you know we’ve got your request and then we’ll call you either straight away or as soon as we’re out of the meeting we’re in…
Kendra Long

Contact Form

We will never sell your information or give it to a third party.

You may also like

Got Questions? Call…

(425) 818-5331

As Seen On…

Get Free Advice

Attorney Kendra Long

Injury and Recovery is Different For Women. Your Representation Should Reflect That.

Our Location